Multiple AVI files to DVD

Discussion about Avi2Dvd.
Requests and bug fixing.

Moderators: george, Excalibur!, skyheartblue, roger_rabbit, reburn

Re: Multiple AVI files to DVD

Postby H.Ammer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 am

Please click on;
Extended Guides : Internal Guides then view or External Guides
at the bottom of this page http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi ... uides&b2=1
The Extended Internal Guide is fairly idiot proof, but note they may be slight differences in some of the screen shots compared to your installation.

Please read the sticky topics in this forum and any applicable specific topics that apply to you before posting a question. Any unanswered bona fide questions should be raised under an appropriate topic or heading.
H.Ammer

Postby JimL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for posting a reply. I wonder why clicking on AVI2DVD's "Help" gives you no clue of any this stuff. Very strange. You, yourself, obviously can read enormous amounts of technical material and remember it and so apparently have no idea how it is for people who can't. The stuff you point to is probably great, but there is simply too much of it.

My previous post spoke of memory and chasing all over the internet for stuff - which itself gets right back to memory - remembering what you found when you were chasing. I once had a great memory. Due to certain things that is no longer the case. But I hung onto one thing I saw in what I think was the "Internal" guide:

2) In avi mode if you have an avi/mkv/ogm [not wmv] with parts cd1, cd2, cd3... you can load as unique avi renaming the avis like this :
Matrix CD1.avi
Matrix CD2.avi
Matrix CD3.avi
etc...
Now just load the Matrix CD1.avi
Renaming your files like this, avi2dvd will join these avis automatically and will produce an unique film.

(Is there magic in the letters "CD?" Not a clue to tell you. Forum posts spoke of other forms.)

Since the topic at hand is putting multiple movies on one DVD this first appears to be an answer. But apparently it is a way to "glue" different parts of one movie together. (who knows for sure?) I certainly don't want different episodes all stuck into one lump.

I come to the only solution I can think of. Since no one can actually give or point to the solution of this multiple episodes problem one is left to search for ... Maybe the word "multiple?" So how does one search for a word in the internal guide? I ran the only search I could find and _EVERY_ result simply linked me to the top index level of the Trust FM forums.

Yes, one can print out the internal guide, but that puts him right back into reading pages and pages of stuff to forget within minutes or seconds. This is why I search for step - by - step instructions. So searchability is the essential key here - drilling right down to the pertinent info immediately. How do you do it?

JimL
JimL

Postby JimL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

When I click on the "Step 5 DVD Menu" tab the resulting display is zoomed bigger than the window and the window is bigger than my screen. I can barely see the tops of the boxes at the bottom. Even if I manage to scoot the window up, the boxes are off the window too. I've never had this happen before. Any idea how to correct it? And is there a "Help" button on that page?

JimL
JimL

Postby H.Ammer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:33 pm

The reference to CD in the joining option is a reference to size. "The scene" (google) has a set of standards for uploading large files. Their standards dictate 650mb (the capacity of a CD) as a unit and very large files are split into "CD's" and are numbered as CD1, CD2, CD3 etc, You are correct that this option of loading multiple "CD's" is intended for joining split files. This, I believe, has been stated by myself in another reply on this same subject.

As I have stated in this thread, you can use this facility for joining identical files, provided they are identical. If your files are not identical you can use VirtualDub (google) to re-encode them to an identical format and also use VitrtualDub to join them.

As to not being able to retain information, whether printed or electronic, is not a fault of Avi2Dvd. Video processing and DVD authoring is a very complicated subject and can not be expected to be learned in a few minutes. You will need time, trial and error to become proficient.

The size issue of the menu creation program window is as a result of either using a low resolution display notebook or a poorly set up monitor. See you computer documentation.

Frankly, if you are so unhappy with Avi2Dvd as a video to DVD conversion and authoring program then I would suggest you purchase some of the commercial encoders. They are no more easy to use, but you may find something more to your requirements.
H.Ammer

Postby JimL » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:10 am

H.Ammer wrote:The size issue of the menu creation program window is as a result of either using a low resolution display notebook or a poorly set up monitor. See you computer documentation.

Frankly, if you are so unhappy with Avi2Dvd as a video to DVD conversion and authoring program then I would suggest you purchase some of the commercial encoders. They are no more easy to use, but you may find something more to your requirements.

(OK, you are very clear in your desire to have only smart, experienced people using AVI2DVD.)

1. I've been running this display setup for a couple years and, as I said, never ran into this kind of thing before, in a lot of different kinds of situations. So while I may be a dummie on some subjects I am not the idiot you suggest.

2. I've said repeatedly that AVI2DVD is obviously a great program, so don't put words in my mouth about unhappiness. It is the elitists who are determined to have unfriendly docs apparently so they can show off their intelligence and experience and keep the dummies out that are the unhappiness.

3. I assume you ignored my question about searching the internal documentation because it can't be done. (And to think, someone chose to have it that way.)

JimL
JimL

Postby JimL » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:17 am

H.Ammer wrote: Video processing and DVD authoring is a very complicated subject and can not be expected to be learned in a few minutes.

There are some people wise enough to write docs well enough so you don't need a college degree to use a program. But as the old saying goes, most programmers write programs to impress other programmers, not so real people can use them.

JimL
JimL

Postby trustfm » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:31 am

JimL i write free program to the masses not for me nor to impress other programmers. I consider to be a pretty bad programmer too.
If you do not like avi2dvd take a look at foto2avi which uses ffmpeg and can produce dvds .
trustfm
Site Admin

Postby aelanor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:51 am

What is the difference between these two dvd drives? I am looking to buy a new laptop and when I customize it asks what type of DVD drive I want. What is the difference between a DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive and a DVD±R/RW Double Layer drive? Can I still play, backup and burn my DVD's with the first option?

Previous

Return to Avi2Dvd