Txt2Vobsub "Newbie" Problems persist...

Discussion about Txt2Vobsub. Requests and bug fixing.

Moderators: george, roger_rabbit

Txt2Vobsub "Newbie" Problems persist...

Postby chinapoppi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:15 am

Thank You...

Is the first thing I would like to say to the creator of this program, which is intended to let users convert .SRT files into the much-needed formats of .IDX/SUB, for those of us with standalone DVD players that only recognize the latter formats.....

There still seems to be a problem with getting the software to work properly, eventhough Version2.9 is the latest offering, and I have taken the time to provide some images of "Installation-thru-Error reporting" stages I have encountered...for my fellow "newbies"~!

Please follow along with me....

First, I loaded the software on my "preferred" desktop setting of 800x600...notice that the software takes up the whole desktop

Then I chose the "foldered" .AVI movie with included .SRT file, only changing the VOBsub Language button to "English"

After Highlighting the .SRT file...I clicked "open"

Now, this is where I encountered my first Error message....As you can plainly see, most of the message has a strange-looking font within it

Nevertheless I proceeded to change my fontsize to "10"

Now, notice in the top right corner (below "about") you see that strange font again (is that normal with this software?)...but it loaded the .SRT file and I clicked "Generate" button

After a while, the "Son2Vobsub" appeared, and without knowing what to do next...I clicked on the "Convert" button

Almost immediately, I received this Error Message....and then the software "refused" (froze) to let me closeout the program

The only way to Exit this program was to open "Task Manager"....and close it~!

I gather that many people encounter the same problem(s) when operating this software, so can someone kindly show me where "we" have gone wrong, and allow the opportunity in successfully completing the SRT to IDX/SUB conversion~?!

I appreciate the time of those with "helpful" responses~!

Poppi :wink:
chinapoppi

Postby trustfm » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:09 pm

your problem is easy just put your srt in some easy folder like
C:\MySubtitles\matrix.srt

Do not use the parenthesis on your files or on your srt .

For the strange characters do like the picture below
You might need to Reboot your computer !
Of course instead of Greek you must put the language of the srt !!!

Tell me if these tips solved the problems !
Thanks !
trustfm
Site Admin

Postby chinapoppi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:37 pm

trustfm

Thank you very much for posting a quick reply.....

Unfortunately, I must report that there must be a "bug" in Version 2.9, since I followed your original instructions to the letter.

Follow along with me please...

:arrow: I changed the "Regional and Language Options" in my WinXP ProSP2 Control Panel...even putting a check mark in the "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile" box...and rebooting immediately

I then created a folder in the "root" of my C: drive and naming it "My Subtitles" (per your wonderful instruction) and dropping in an .SRT file

I opened the software and loaded the SRT file...noticing that the "same" strange-looking font (below About tab) is still there!

I overlooked the "font" scribble and continued to create my IDX/SUB file...happily, I succeeded in obtaining a "creation finished" message

...which now contained two (2) additional files

I promptly changed them to reflect: hob.idx and hob.sub

Upon "burning" the finished products: hob.avi, hob.idx, hob.sub and hob.srt --I played the .AVI on my home DVD player and noticed that the Subtitles "did" show up (xie xie) but, were in that same "strange" font as witnessed under the "About" tab in the software~!

Could you be so kind as to provide me with a final solution...to successful subtitling~! :lol:

chinapoppi

Postby trustfm » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm

what language are your subtitles ? (the srt file...)
Change the Font Charset from combobox of tct2vobsub to that language it is important !!!
trustfm
Site Admin

Postby chinapoppi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 pm

For the record...

All of my "Foreign or otherwise" subtitled movies will have English as its main text (eventhough I am of Chinese origin--I cannot read the native text)

As for the "Font Charset" combobox...upon loading "any" SRT files, the Default is consistenly present, so one would think that if your PC has been set to display "English" as the system language, the software would/should default automatically to accept text in that language...which is not the case here!

Upon viewing these images provided, I do not see any mention of setting the Font Charset to "English"

..so unless OEM means "English"....there is no default for that language as I can see

Speaking of "Defaults"...why does this software default to read Greek under "VobSubLang" and the Font at 22 upon opening it~?

Should not, the "values" you want be programmed by the user pressing the Set Default Values button~?

chinapoppi

Postby trustfm » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:49 pm

try ANSI / East EUROPE /GB2312 / and OEM
Do you still get strange characters ?
Try reloading the srt every time you try a different charset ...
trustfm
Site Admin

Postby chinapoppi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:51 am

Success~ :D

I tried using the ANSI Font Charset setting before loading the SRT file, and I was able to read the "English" typesetting~!

Trustfm xie xie~! :mrgreen:

I also took the liberty of downloading and using a Codec Information Utility: GSpot to supply me with the exact FPS setting(s) of my movies before I generate the new subtitles

Now, might I trouble you again...about another problem I've run into~ :?:

I am having a problem with a foreign film with English SRT support

...but the software is giving me an "Unsupported" error message

When I opened the SRT in Notepad, it appears to be in normal subtitle formatting, and then I ran the .AVI file thru Gspot to validate its codec (avi) and the FPS of 23.97

What could possibly be generating this error~?

Thank you again....for all your patience in answering my "newbie" question~!

P.S. to Trustfm: Why not make a "sticky" of this topic when its finished (almost there, yes?!) since I am sure all of my questions and your valuable input thus far...could be extremely helpful for the future users of this software~! :roll:

Poppi :lol:
chinapoppi

Postby trustfm » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:00 pm

When the "Unsupported ..." message shows up seems that
a) your srt is a FAKE
b) your srt is corrupted !!!
If the problem insists try downloading the srt from another site or try to convert the FAKE srt to an real one !

Open your srt on notepad and copy and paste some lines (the first 10 lines) here so i can see it or just try another srt ;)

The topic just become sticky ! :D

Another important thing ...
When the convertion is done you have to rename your files
with the same name of the movie like this for example :
Matrix.avi
Matrix.idx
Matrix.sub
trustfm
Site Admin

Postby trustfm » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:18 pm

Now an question ;)
Do you test any of these conversions on an hardware player (standalone dvd device etc...)
if yes (with succeess) can you post the name of that device in this topic ?
Thanks !

[hr]

A last tip . As you can see txt2vobsub converts vobsubs with only ONE language inside.
But the Vobsub format supports up to 8 different subtitles in the same file (idx/sub)
If you have two (or more) languages for the same move you have to do something like this :

[ATTENTION : IT IS IMPORTANT TO SET THE VOBSUB LANG on txt2vobsub]

Matrix.avi
MatrixEn.srt ---> Process it with txt2vobsub and Get ----> MatrixEn.sub, MatrixEn.idx [Vobsub lang: english]
MatrixCn.srt ---> Process it with txt2vobsub and Get ---->MatrixCn.sub, MatrixCn.idx [Vobsub lang: chinese]

Now as you can see you have two Vobsubs but you only need one ! Here is what you have to do !
Download VobsubMuxer
load the MatrixEn.idx and the MatrixCn.idx This program will generate to you only ONE vobsub
Name it like this :

Matrix.idx
Matrix.sub

As you can see now from all these files you have to keep only

Matrix.avi
Matrix.idx
Matrix.sub

Some players (not all!!!) support multiple vobsubs ;) It is an cool solution !
They change from the subtitle button of the hardware device like the dvds ;)

If you want to reget the original vobsubs from the joined one (split it again)
use VobSubStrip 0.11 and you will get the
two original vobsubs again !

Byez !
trustfm
Site Admin

Postby chinapoppi » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:08 am

Hi Hi Trustfm~8)

Thanks for making our conversion a STICKY...

This should help others out--and save you from redundant questions, yes~?!:lol:

As for the non-working SRT file...it looks poorly translated and thrown together

chinapoppi

Next

Return to Txt2Vobsub