Avi2Dvd menu background problem

Discussion about Avi2Dvd.
Requests and bug fixing.

Moderators: george, Excalibur!, skyheartblue, roger_rabbit, reburn

Avi2Dvd menu background problem

Postby unka2m » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 am

[font=Arial] [/font]
I'm new to burning dvds so hopefully this will be an elementary fix. I followed the tutorial about making menus with Avi2Dvd and everything seemed to work fine although after the AVI was converted to DVD, the menu wouldn't work properly. I tried using a background image from the provided list and also tried images captured from the video itself and both resulted in the same problem. The trouble seems to be in the highlighted and selected states of the buttons created. First of all, the tutorial shows three different states to set options for; idle, selected and highlighted. The version 0.5 that I've downloaded only offered selected and highlighted tabs. I don't know if this is contributing to my dilemma, which is this: After the conversion, which I've tried as an iso image, also as the VOB files being previewed on my pc and again as a burned dvd played on my standalone dvd player, (which I converted the AVI and remade the menu from scratch each of the many times I tried to come up with a solution) the menu would always appear with the background image I'd chosen overlayed by the .png image created for the highlighted buttons. In other words, the background picture was covered with the plain white background of the image that contained my button highlight images(which in this case were the yellow squares that would go around my start and chapter buttons).The plain white area would cover from the upper edge of the uppermost chapter button down to the lower edge of the lowest button. The background image would be in view above and below this white area that spanned the entire image from left to right. Clicking on any part of the menu, whether it was the background or any button, would result in the same white image that which now would be the "selected state" button outline colors to flash on quickly and then the movie would start. It's like my entire menu was a highlighted start button. These "highlighted" and "selected" images are generated automatically by the program every time a menu is created. I even tried to edit these "highlight" images at their source to eliminate the white background by a few different means, which resulted in my video file containing 0 bytes at the end of conversion. I really like this program, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid having to go to an alternative authoring program but I want to have good menus on the videos. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
unka2m

Postby H.Ammer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm having difficulty understanding your problem.

I suspect I know what the problem is, but to describe the solution is far to complicated for words alone.

The image files that are called buttons (i.e. A2d_Button_01.bmp) ARE NOT BUTTONS but backgrounds that the button (or clickable area or text) is placed on. To be exact, they are placed behind the clickable area or text.

The button (or clickable area) is the background to the text you place on the background image (i.e. A2d_Background_01.bmp) or the button image (i.e. A2d_Button_01.bmp).

When you place selected text on any background, it comes with a background colour (default = dark green). Where that text is to become clickable (i.e. PLAY, SUBTITLES, CHAPTERS etc.) the limit of this text background is the limit of the clickable area. When highlighted (hover over) a coloured border is displayed, and when chosen (clicked or selected) a second colour replaces the first. The size of the clickable area depends on the size of text used (FONT), the properties of the text (BOLD, SHADOW, ITALIC etc.) and the length of the word used. You can use spaces to increase the area, and you can use the resize option to do the same in a different way.

You should temporary place all button images onto the background image first, before adding the text and clickable areas. Keep all the text background colours a contrast untill you are certain that everything is where you wish it. Move the button images behind the text and clickable areas. Only when all is done can you can change the text background to transparent by modifying the text button i.e. ticking the transparent option for each.

The JPG file and the two PNG files are created by the menu creation program, and should not be modified after creation. Should you find any such files before the menu is created, in the "images folder", then they should be deleted as they have been left over from a previous project.

Please give the above a try, and if you still have problems try posting a (cut down) screen shot of the end results (PowerDVD, VLC player and MediaPlayer Classic have a screen shot facility). If your problem is solved, please let us know.
H.Ammer

Postby unka2m » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:19 am

[font=Arial] [/font]
I may have used the wrong terminology before, but as for your description, which by the way is much easier to understand than what I've been able to give you to work with, I pretty much had figured out beforehand. The program is so easy to work with, that I've tried this numerous times and caught on to how it should work before coming to the forum. The last few times that I tried, I didn't even add the button images. I just chose the background image, chose the silent audio, added a start button and two chapter buttons (clickable areas, not button images) and clicked the use for job 1 box and saved. Following the path C:/Program Files/Avi2Dvd/Programs/Menu/Images/menuh1.png brings up the image that is used for the highlight part of the menu. The highlight outlines on a white background. This entire white image with highlight outlines is what appears overlayed on the menu background when the dvd is played.

As you said, this is hard to put into just words but I'm new to posting of screen shots also. I have VLC and MP Classic both, although I don't know how to get the image here on my reply. (Sorry for the lack of know how. It doesn't take alot of knowledge to just read the forums, which is all I've ever done 'til now. I saved the image with MP Classic by clicking on "save image" in the file menu. I got a warning stating "The 'Save Image' and 'Save Thumbnails' functions do not work with the Overlay Mixer video renderer. Change the video renderer in MPC's output options and reopen the file." I changed the option from Overlay Mixer to default and then I could save the image as a jpeg. I now need to know the next step to inserting it here. That is if what I've done so far is correct. By the way, what is a cut down screen shot?

On another note, did the window for the creation of clickable items (start and chapter buttons) change with this latest version of Avi2Dvd? The tutorial picture shows three states for the clickable areas; idle, highlighted and selected.

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/includes/Gu ... mage31.jpg

The version I downloaded only has the highlighted and selected tabs available in the window. No idle state tab. (I would paste an image of what I have but I don't know how to get it for you.)

Thanks for your patience and help.
unka2m

Postby unka2m » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:10 am

[font=Arial] [/font]
Well, I spent the afternoon after work today on the web looking up how to save images and enter them here on the forum. I came across ImageShack which seems to be very user friendly and free. So let's give it a whirl. Hopefully you'll get the images. The first is the background image using one of the images provided by the program that I've added a start clickable area and two chapter clickable areas with all the options left at default.

[img][img]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6812/background1a.jpg[/img][/img]

This next image is the .png file created by the program for the highlight. The file for the selected state of the clickable area is the same image, but with the squares of another color.

[img][img]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2768/menuh1t.jpg[/img][/img]

Last but not least is the snapshot of the finished version of my menu as played on Media Player Classic. VLC and my stand alone DVD player give the same result. Clicking anywhere on the screen including the designated areas for the chapters will change the image with the highlight squares to the image with the selected squares for a split second and then the movie starts at the beginning. Clicking on the chapter button areas gives the same result as clicking on any other part of the menu.

[img][img]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9387/snapshot20100128230358.jpg[/img][/img]

I hope these images post correctly and help to explain what's happening.
Thanks.
unka2m

Postby H.Ammer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Thank-you for posting the screen shots.

The option window shown is in fact for a previous version of Avi2Dvd, and it is not possible to use highlighted text in a menu, only a highlighted background border. This is why there are only two options as the third (or first) is no longer required. The text does not change colour as it is not overlayed.

By the looks of it you have done all things correct in the menu creation function, but some thing has still gone wrong.

The PNG images that have been created should have transparent backgrounds, yours seem to be a translucent cream. In order to check if they are in fact translucent and not transparent please copy the images and paste to a convent location. Now open these copies in MS PAINT and they should be seen as a grey background with the coloured rectangles. If you have PAINT.NET installed, you could open them with that and you should see a grey and white check background that indicates a transparent background. Most other similar programs have their own method or a similar method of indication.

Now look in the folder "Program Files\Avi2Dvd\Programs\menu" and you should find 3 very short video files:
background.m2v, menu.mpg, nav.mpg. Look at them as they should all match your first Screen Shot.

Do the PNG files have transparent or translucent or opaque backgrounds? Does the JPG background file look correct? Do the 3 video files view correctly?

You are correct that you can't alter, in any way, the PNG image files once created as the whole process will fail.

Have you ever had the menu creation program work correctly?

My first thought has been ruled out, so now the problem may be down to many other things. The most obvious being corruption of some elements or the modification of some by another installed program or update.

Try uninstalling, then deleting all remains manually, reboot then reinstall the complete Avi2Dvd package.

Ensure you are the administrator or have full rights, during the reinstallation process.

Do you have enough hard drive space for Avi2Dvd to work, have you installed it on the primary drive (c)?

Please give the above a try, checking the PNG image files, the JPG background image file and the 3 video files, then reinstalling the Avi2Dvd package bundle. After that, please lets us know the outcome and if you still have problems, please post some details of your machine and the operating system, i.e. windows... version...
H.Ammer

Postby unka2m » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 am

[font=Arial] [/font]
Sorry for taking such a long time to respond, but we've been hammered by a couple of snow storms here on the east coast and after digging out at home and at work, I've found little time to do much else. It's actually snowing again at this moment.

I tried everything you suggested and got the same results. The image is not transparent in MS Paint.

The three files appear to play correctly. They all have the image of the menu that was created.

The menu creation program has never worked correctly for me because this is the first time I've used the program Avi2dvd. I converted another avi video to dvd with the menu results the same as the one I've shown you, but I had spent a lot of time with a lot of detail on it only to come up with these kind of results. That's why I chose to use the simple examples I've used here.

I totally uninstalled Avi2dvd and eliminated all traces left over of it and all the bundled programs, rebooted, reinstalled only to get the same results.

I definitely have administrative rights during the entire process.

Program is installed on (c) drive with 30 GB of free space.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
I'm not sure what other info you'd need, but would be happy to oblige if you let me know what to provide.

Following the path C:/Program Files/Avi2Dvd/Programs/Menu, should there be 2 .xml files titled Dvdauthor1.xml and menu1.xml?
Considering that I don't know the first thing about how these .xml files work, could there be some sort of firewall issue? When I click on these files, I get Internet Explorer coming up with the content of these files but at the top is the warning that "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer."

I have also used http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm to turn off unnecessary services on my pc. Maybe something was disabled preventing the background for the .png files to be transparent. Is there a necessary service that you know of that could cause the problem I've encountered if it has been disabled or switched from automatic to manually starting?

The strange thing about the .png files is that sometimes when I double click on one (it doesn't matter which one), and MS Picture It! starts, I'll get the border and the toolbars around the window, but the area where the image would normally show up (the area inside the ruled border for editting the image) will be absent. I can view my desktop right through the open portal in the middle of my Picture It! window. After this happens, the program doesn't like to respond and I will have to exit the program. This doesn't always happen. Just some of the time. Are the .png images actually created by MS Picture It!? Can they be created some other way? Maybe my Picture It! program is corrupt and is the cause of the translucent background.

Thanks.

P.S. Gotta snow blower I can borrow?
unka2m

Postby H.Ammer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:23 pm

In XP home the default PNG viewer is Windows picture and Fax Viewer , not MS Picture It!. I mention this because of a known problem with transparent PNG file when using early versions of Internet Explorer, and failings in MS Picture It!. So have you updated Windows XP using the automated update feature?

The XML files are text instruction using a form of HTML used for web pages, so when opened they will use your default internet browser. However their coding is seen as a risk to your browser, so hence the warnings. If you wish to view the very simple text inside these files then try opening with notepad.

So I would suggest updating your Windows Operation System using the update feature and this will update Internet Explorer, even if you don't use it.

If this does not work then I'm at a loss to a solution.

Please let us know if you have a solution to your problem, or not, so someone else may be able to assist you.

Good Luck.
H.Ammer

Re: Avi2Dvd menu background problem

Postby Khan1206 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:49 am

After 3 weeks working on 4 computers :( , Avi2dvd works only on one of them, new installation of XP Home without personnal parameters :roll: .
So I put those parameters back to normal, and when I change the color resolution from 16bit to 32 bit :idea: , it work on all of them, winXP Pro, Vista and Win7. :D

Hope this will help all avi2dvd's fan :lol:

Johnny
Khan1206

Return to Avi2Dvd