Multiple AVI files to DVD

Discussion about Avi2Dvd.
Requests and bug fixing.

Moderators: george, Excalibur!, skyheartblue, roger_rabbit, reburn

Multiple AVI files to DVD

Postby rfmoore » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:53 am

Hi I have a few AVI files i.e. programe1 .avi programe2.avi and programe3.avi that I whish to play on one DVD file.When I hit GO the program states that "Two jobs have the same output path. Please change the output path of the second Job". Where do I go from here. I have been able to do one .avi file at a time with good results.
rfmoore

Postby motorhomebill » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm having the same issue.
Hope someone will post to this thread and help us!
motorhomebill

AVI 2DVD Multiple Files

Postby rfmoore » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:56 am

After finishing the input steps for each conversion select [add job] and then start a new conversion at step 1 and again select [add job] after you have finished the input steps for that conversion etc. When you are ready to have all the files converted select [go] and retire for a few hours. I then use TMPEncDVDAuthor1.6 to place menues on my completed DVD's so that I can select which film or episodes of series I watch. If you whish to know how to use the program go to http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... page_2.cfm
rfmoore

Re: AVI 2DVD Multiple Files

Postby RequiredUnless » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:38 am

rfmoore wrote:After finishing the input steps for each conversion select [add job] and then start a new conversion at step 1 and again select [add job] after you have finished the input steps for that conversion etc. When you are ready to have all the files converted select [go] and retire for a few hours. I then use TMPEncDVDAuthor1.6 to place menues on my completed DVD's so that I can select which film or episodes of series I watch. If you whish to know how to use the program go to http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... page_2.cfm

Have I understood this correctly? If I have say 5 AVI's I just add each one as a job and it will create a DVD with all of them together? I tried this but got an error when I added the 2nd job (2nd episode).

edit... I've tried again. This time I've unticked "Make ISO" under step 2 and chosen a separate sub folder as output for each episode (and job) I added. Is that right?

edit... Found the solution by searching the forum
Rename the episodes to ep1.avi ep2.avi ep3.avi, ep4.avi etc and then add only ep1.avi as a job and run it
See these for more info
http://www.trustfm.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1375
http://www.trustfm.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... t=multiple
http://www.trustfm.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... t=multiple
http://www.trustfm.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=121
RequiredUnless

Postby rfmoore » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:04 am

oops yes I missed mentioning that step of making separate input files into which you place each job and to deselect ISO file. I then got a video file for each job which I then copied to a DVD. After using DVD shrink I was able to get two films onto one DVD 4.7GB
rfmoore

Postby BeD007 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:57 pm

you can also try to to rename your file like this : programe CD1.avi, programe CD2.avi, programe CD3.avi, it is suppose to automaticly put all your files into the same job
BeD007

multiple avi files

Postby urlebuddy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:35 am

I've been having the same problem. I had a movie contained in two avi files. I renamed them to moviecd1.avi and moviecd2.avi and went on with the encoding...everything went fine but only the first cd was encoded. I have also seen that it was suggested to use foto2avi to join avi files into one, but I have had problems with that as it only allows you to load .f2a files. The program is great when only working with one avi file. IF there is a solution to the mulitple avi problem please let me know...and please explain.
urlebuddy

Re: Multiple AVI files to DVD

Postby JimL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 am

I came here hoping to get information on this same subject - putting more than one show episode on a DVD. There are very few comments on it of any kind and the ones there are are really not at all clear.

I wonder what this forum is for. One thing is certain. You don't find explanations here - or anywhere for that matter. If no one is available to answer questions, why doesn't someone write up some procedures? (I found one "guide" that reads more like a list of sales features. Lots of pretty pictures, but nothing really explained to the first time user. It essentially says start at the top of each screen and work your way down. DUH!! Perhaps it is good for folks who already know how to use it!)

I like others get only one job at a time. Great waste of DVD space. Putting a series of numbered titles in a folder and jobbing the first one, as suggested, is utterly useless. As usual people really good at programming can't explain their way out of a paper bag, but they have plenty of company.

JimL
JimL

Postby H.Ammer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:38 pm

I am not affiliated in any way to this project, but have used this developing program for years. I offer my experience to anybody who cares to read the instructions of use, and the many external guides produced for people with varying ability, knowledge or experience. What has never been stated in all of these years is that Avi2Dvd can process episodic files or to author multiple video title set (VTS) DVD's. It can join split files using the method described in the help option within the main program window and produce a single VTS. It can also batch process various different projects without intervention.

As has been stated numerous times, a work-a-round can sometimes be used provided all episodes are identical in all details and are renamed in accordance to the requirements detailed in the help option. You will have to set up chapters manually.
H.Ammer

Postby JimL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 am

H.Ammer wrote:I am not affiliated in any way to this project, but have used this developing program for years. I offer my experience to anybody who cares to read the instructions of use, and the many external guides produced for people with varying ability, knowledge or experience.

I'm glad to see that there is someone who can at least post a message here.

You refer to "anybody who cares to read the instructions of use." I'd be happy to have someone describe where there are any genuine instructions of use. If you are referring to the author's 1, 2, 3, list I can see what is going on with this package. It is obviously written by someone who did all this manually for years and decided to automate it - and he did it well. But there's more. It is written _for_ people who have done all this manually for years and who find the automation much easier to work with. Any such person who is steeped in all the buzz words, processes and procedures of doing this kind of thing manually _must_ find the how-to list very satisfying.

But clearly if you have never done all that stuff before the very first thing that becomes clear is that the how-to list is at best the very barest outline, hitting the highest of the high spots, assuming the reader knows how to fill in between the lines. Of course the DVD guru will find everything easy! But the raw beginner has no clue what's going on behind all those icons, etc. And judging from the cryptic posts (Yes, I know, it doesn't seem cryptic to people who have all this stuff for breakfast) the "In the know" crowd likes it that way just fine. The lack of any _DETAILED_ step-by-step 1,2,3, x,y,z hold your hand documentation makes it seem very much like the kind of thing I run into when trying to set up networking. The people who know networking learned it over time by carefully storing thousands of details in their super memories. They simply don't want other people to "get it" without going through all the same intensive effort they did. They don't _want_ dummies to come in and contaminate the ranks. If you don't have a near photographic memory and super multi-tasking skills just go away. We DON'T WANT to hold your hand!

On the surface it seems strange that people say you can put multiple on the same DVD when one of the very first things you run into is a program screaming NO, NO, NO you can't send more than one thing to the same path!!!!! Darn it, I _WANT_ everything going to the same path - that's the whole idea!! E Pluribus Unum! With empathesis on the "Unum."

But if you remember the folks who have done it all a thousand times before and can whip up a work-around in a matter of seconds or minutes, you "get it." This program is not intended for the uninitiated. Period.

Now, sir, if you are saying there are genuine, detailed, how-to, step-by-step instructions a normal human can follow from beginning to end without filling in scores of details between the lines or chasing all over the internet searching for explanations and get those multiples on DVD by plain 1,2,3 effort as opposed to genius and long experience, I'd be very glad to see and use them.

JimL
JimL

Next

Return to Avi2Dvd